Sunday, January 07, 2007

Church!

First of all, yesterday was completely boring. I went to Tom's Pancake House for breakfast with Geoff, then watched Blast From the Past (I had a hankerin' to see that movie) and lots of Sex and the City. I got Geoff addicted! We watched the Cowboys/Seahawks game, and then went to Red Lobster. DULLSVILLE.

The other thing we are both trying to do and have been doing since yesterday is beat the Expert level of Minesweeper. Fun, of course! Neither of us have ever been able to beat it. I am a lot faster than him, it makes him very angry. But I like it!

This morning we went to a new church, called Westport. I loved it! I think Geoff was okay with it, but he doesn't really like modern worship styles as much as I do. But at least he liked it. Geoff was not okay with a church as big as Sunset (where I used to go), and I couldn't handle a church as traditional as St. Matthew (where he grew up) - so we are trying to find a place that works for both of us. This was the second week in this church's new building and it was cool to be a part of that!

Pros: awesome welcome when we got there (two people went out of their way to greet us, find out our names and how we found out of the church, etc... one was one of the pastors), excellent music that was very authentic, and a good messsage. The whole church felt very real.

Cons: lack of diversity (mostly ethnic diversity, although this is in general VERY hard to find in suburban Portland. there was a decent age range... mostly younger couples and families, but a fair amount of middle aged folk and a few older peeps as well), Geoff thought the message was a little long-winded.

I definitely thought it was a place that I'd like to get to know better. Today was the start of a 12 week series that I'm looking forward to. It was on the Pentateuch, the first five books of the Bible. I had never heard that term before and really enjoyed learning about it!

Another note, something I have been thinking about. In the past 6 or so years, I have taken to calling the music part of any Christian gathering "worship". It's kind of what these modern Christian peeps have done. It always bothered my mom, and now I'm coming around to her way of thinking - our whole lives are worship, not just music. People like Chris Tomlin call themselves lead worshippers, and music certianly IS worship... but I think we need to be careful not to begin thinking that music is the only way we worship God.

Anyway, great worship experience this morning, and then Geoff and I went to Red Robin. My stomach is hurting a little bit because my Remicade is coming up next week (it sometimes starts to act up a little bit the week or so before my Remicade). We are now watching the Jets and the Patriots (I think) on TV. Actually Geoff is watching them and playing Minesweeper while I am blogging. Now I'll probably go play Minesweeper... and then we are going to help Kyle move into his dorm room at Multnomah. After that... Geoff's making steaks for dinner, or we might go to dinner at Widmer (yum!). Should be a fun day!

Are the links getting to be too much? I think they might be helpful for non-Portlanders or people who don't know me as well to get to know my stuff. And it's not like you have to click them. But let me know what you think!

No comments: