Thursday, January 10, 2008

Outrage

Okay - I check CNN.com probably once or twice a day depending on how busy I am, typically once first thing in the morning and once in the afternoon when things start to slow down. This is weekdays only. I read only the stories up at the top in the Top News section. (on very rare occasion I will scroll down the front page to find more articles, this is once a month at the very most). I'd say I typically read 2 - 5 articles each day. I by no means consider this extreme.

Anyway, it's come to the point where I am finding mistakes several times a week, and I find this unacceptable. Today I was reading about Sir Edmund Hillary dying, and found this mistake "The accomplishment as part of a British climbing expedition even added luster to the coronation of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II four days later, and she knighted Hillary as one of her first act."

ACTS. Not act - PROOFREAD, please. I realize you're putting out thousands of articles a day, but I'd rather read half as many articles and have them correctly written. You're not writing a blog, you're running a professional news organization. Ridiculous. I've even discussed with Patrick the possibility of starting cnnmistakes.blogspot.com or some such blog. I'd have more fodder for that than I do my real blog! Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done already.

No comments: