Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The "Big News" Blog

Alright, alright! People keep asking about the whole engagement thing, so I figured as always I better answer to the masses. I have been avoiding it because I don't want to bore people, but I better at least give an update. After this I hope to keep the "wedding planning" updates to a dull roar. This Sunday we went wine tasting with his mom as per tradition... it was great! Then we got some steaks and grilled with his mom and Gary. :) Monday we both worked and then went to a BBQ at his aunt and uncle's house.

The proposal:
No grand story here folks, but it was a perfect little story for me. I had to go to Arizona for business on Tuesday, May 22. Geoff drove me to the airport (just the local airport in Hillsboro for a charter/shuttle flight) and as I was getting out of the car he said "you almost forgot something!", then pulled out his ring box and said "Will you marry me?" There was some other stuff in there, but I promise nothing romantic or anything. :) I said yes and that was that... then I flew away.

The current plans:
I *just* found out today that we officially have a date, it's this August 11 in Dallas, TX. We chose Dallas because it's closer to my family (especially grandparents who are a good 10 - 15 years older than his) and somewhat centrally located. The timing is based on the fact that my sister is looking for jobs in Spain and that is one of the few times that she will definitely be in the country. Also, his brother and sister will be in school this fall and we don't want to wait a whole year. Those are some of the main reasons, although there are certainly others. We are getting married at Spring Valley United Methodist Church, which is my parent's church. Pastor Anna will be marrying us. We're going to Dallas June 15 - June 18 so Geoff can meet my dad and sister, so we can meet Pastor Anna, and for a few other wedding details. After the wedding we will most likely have a BBQ type party at my parent's house. I don't know much but I know there will be NO DANCING. :) I have been talking to a photographer I found on Craigslist named Annette (see the *Ann* theme? odd huh?) and I REALLY like her. I am thinking of booking her! For colors, we are thinking either just red, or a combo of red/orange/yellow/pink. Here Comes the Bride will not be played, it was vetoed by my sister and Geoff. Instead we will have Canon in D. (I'm trying to think of questions people keep asking me).

The Registries:
I am only writing about this because I find it funny and amusing for blogging and think my readers will appreciate it. We weren't going to register, but his family HIGHLY suggested it and that we do it soon, plus I think my mom would have thought we were crazy if we didn't. She said people will get you things regardless, so you might as well give them choices of things you like. Okay. Anyway, here are some of the funny things about registering: the MOST funny is that Geoff registered for a lint roller! I was like "why?" and he said "to clean my suit before the wedding". Hmmm okay, whatever you freak. :) And he said if I remove it he will then add THREE more. So yikes... better keep that on there. That's my favorite part of the registry now. Then... they asked us to pick out a "fine china" pattern and an "everyday" pattern. Only for the everyday pattern she picked up Noritake Colorwave mug, SLAMMED it against the desk and said "it's practically indistrucable, you must go with this". So we did (and actually we do both like it). But once we picked the fine china and everyday patterns... they added like 40 different items on there!! Bowls and plates and platters and serving stuff and salt and pepper! Yikes. Oh well. It was just a very amusing process, and I'm sure those that are already married can relate, but I thought I'd share for those who aren't because it was TOO FREAKING FUNNY!!

Future Plans:
We're not going on a honeymoon right after the wedding, but we will probably go on a cruise sometime this fall or early summer. We'll also have a party / reception type thing in Oregon where we'll invite all of our friends and family. We're hoping that will be at one of our favorite vineyards! NO idea on the date yet... it will have to either be this August / September or not until next spring because of the weather. We are NOT kicking out our roommates, we love them and want to "keep" them (many people have been asking that question). I think those are all of the answers to the "big questions".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you! That's really exciting!